Friday, May 28, 2010

Haiti Day 5


This morning was the beginning of a bittersweet day. It is my 6th day of this trip, and the last day of my part of the conference. The night before we had a very special time of sharing and prayer. We reflected on what God has been doing, and how our experience in Haiti has touched each of our hearts. We also began to debrief on the strengths and weaknesses of our conference. After another night where the power goes out, and then trying to sleep in 90 degree heat and 100% humidity, I wake up realizing that this is my day to come home (sweet), and saying goodbye to our team and the pastors who have been such an inspiration to meet (bitter).
Day starts at 6 with my last cold shower, followed by the dry cereal and breakfast bars to eat. Our team assembles as the morning meeting is about to being. David Shin from Churches Helping Churches is busy working with the STEP seminary staff printing out certificates of participation (very important to pastors in this culture). Lots of goodbyes, pictures, thank you's and sharing of email addresses.
My heart is filled with emotion as we leave for Port Au Prince airport. It is normally a 20 minute drive but with conjested traffic, poor road conditions, and streets blocked by police due to protesters, we take a round about route throught the chaos of the city. Pastor Jaques does a great job navigating the streets and it takes just under an hour to arrive. Thankfully it is 2 hours before departure and it takes almost the entire time to get through the security checks etc. It is a strange feeling to be in a third world airport when you can't speak the language and you are the only one there since other team members have different departure times (I chose to take a direct flight to JFK, most other team members fly to Miami and then flights to various parts of the USA). Sure enough there is a problem with my check-in with Delta, but after a round or two wiht the supervisor, it is through to the second of three security checks and then on to the plane. The flight attendants were very gracious and inquisitive about my experience so we spent a half hour talking about the ministry and showing them pictures. I was tired, but it was a way to pass the time and gave me another opportunity to share Christ.
A very intense week of ministry and experiencing some of the poorest of the poor anywhere in the world. I will be sharing additional thoughts about this trip and pictures soon, but for now, all I can do is thank God for His protection, watching over my family, truly there is no place like home!
Blessings,
Dr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment