Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Back to School

This time of year is always as time of mixed emotions. On the one hand, we as parents are happy to see our children make progress in learning, and experience new challenges and opportunities. On the other hand, it is hard to let go. Each year in school means another step closer to the teen years, graduation, college, or career. This has been a tough year for me personally. My sons are now both in college. This means we no longer have any kids left in our local school district. My youngest is now away at school. On top of that, my daughter is engaged and is preparing for marriage in the spring. She is home for her first year of graduate school. For the first time, I am the only male in my house! This means a few changes in addition to missing my sons. When it comes to TV show choices (from shows like Dealiest Warrior, Dog the Bounty Hunter, Pawn Stars to Say Yes to the Dress, Halmark movies, Bridezillas, etc), food served (my wife is moving away from making more meat and potatoes oriented food to all kinds of exotic recipes), target shooting now takes place by myself, or with a friend. When we left the boys at Liberty University, I even showed a some emotion, and it was a quiet ride for the first hour. However, at this stage of parenting, I am very thankful. None of the teenage year horror stories have been experienced in our home. No, Phyllis and I aren’t perfect parents, nor do we have perfect kids. Yes, we have had plenty of challenges to work through (and continue with even now). But seeing God honor the priorities I established is something I would not trade for anything. After my relationship with God, and my wife, was being a Dad for my three children. EVERYTHING else, including ministry, came after that. As you begin a new school year, regardless of whether your child is starting pre-school or kindergarten, or even high school, know that God is faithful. Know that the investment you make in your children will make a difference in their lives, and in yours.
Blessings,
Dr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment