Saturday, March 28, 2009

When Tragedy Strikes Close

Over the last two weeks life has been tough, very tough. My church lost a young man to suicide, who was a good friend of my youngest son, and many in our congregation. And this past Sunday I learned on the national news that my cousin was brutally murdered in New York. While I have not been real close to him since we were kids, it was still a shock. Hearing the cry of a mother who has lost her child is something you never want to hear, and to hear it twice is tough. Certainly not as tough as the grief experienced by the parents and siblings of these two men who's lives ended prematurely. No parent ever expects to have to bury their child. The personal and emotional backwash of deaths like this is significant. Hence the lack of postings for a while.
As a pastor, counselor, and fire chaplain, I have seen a lot of death. Even tragic death. But these two were close. Closer than the typical I deal with. What makes the difference in times like this. Two words, family and faith.
Experiences like these can make or break a family. I chose make over break. And so I have spent extra time with my son. Not smothering him, just being a little closer within reach. Spoending some extra time with him, even when there are other things I could be doing. And the same can be said of my own extended family. Pulling together, being with each other, praying, sharing, crying. What matters isn't as much the words and being together.
Being a person of faith, having a personal relationship with Jesus is what makes the ultimate difference. As Jesus tells us in John 14:27, Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.
Do you have peace with God? If you don't have it before tragedy strikes, you won't have it in the midst of it. The pain is strong, the hurt is deep, but God's comfort is stronger and deeper. It is well with my soul.
Blessings,
Dr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment