Thursday, September 18, 2014

Social Media Sanity

Over the last six weeks or so I have taken a step back from social media. I did not do a complete withdraw, just a step back, not as many Facebook posts, only one blog post, and I took the Facebook app off of my phone.  I also made a commitment to not do as much with my smart phone when going through the course of my day, or when out with my wife and/or the family.

So what has this step back done for me?  For me, it has given me a chance to evaluate how much of my time and my life I want to give to social media.  As a marriage and family counselor, I am increasingly concerned about how much I see people excessively tied to their smart phone, tablet, etc.  As I re-engage with twitter, my blog, and Facebook, I have decided to make some changes.  The biggest change has been to keep the Facebook app off of my phone.  This has kept me from being tempted from getting on Facebook at different times during the day.  It has become a lot easier to limit getting on Facebook to once or twice a day.  And this is a win for me.  There is more to life than what is happening on the various forms of social media and the internet.  So get our there and live it, instead of spending too much time reading about what others are doing.

Blessings,
Dr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment