Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Don't Give Up the Ship!

I have a coffee mug on my desk that I purchased when I was in Erie, PA a couple of years ago that reads, "Don't give up the ship."  The quote is from the battle flag on the USS Niagara in the Battle of Lake Erie. The words are actually the dying command of James Lawrence aboard the USS Chesapeake in a previous battle that year and placed on that battle flag by Commodore Matthew Perry who was in command of the USS Niagara.  I have this mug on my desk to encourage people to fight for their marriage or not give up in whatever personal problems they face.
I recently came across a modern day example of this in a real life story, of all places, out of Hollywood.    Mark Wahlberg recently received his high-school diploma after going back to school through an on-line study program for people who dropped out and want to finish their education.  He also just started a charitable organization to help adults finish their high school education over the internet.  Here is Mark's message, "To those student struggling every day and, most importantly, tho those who are looking for a second chance, I have a message for you: Never give up."
This can-do, never say die attitude is something I love.  And is something I see throughout the pages of the Bible.  You see it in the lives of men like Abraham, Moses, Joshua, David, Nehemiah, Paul, just to name a few.  Here are two quotes from Paul that reflect this.  The first is from the Book of Galations (6:9), "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."  The other is from the Book of Philippians (3:13-14), "But one this I do:  Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."
Notice what gives Paul the hope to keep pressing on and not give up.  It is not his own strength or ability, it is his relationship with God.  If it is just up to me, I have no guarantee of success.  But if it is reliance on an all powerful, all knowing, and all present God, then there is no question that His plan for my life will happen, and it will be for His glory and my blessing.  Notice also that Paul is living for someone and something much bigger than himself and his own agenda.  His is living for God and His plan.  As you seek to press on, and not give up your ship, who are you relying on and who are you living for?
Blessings,
Dr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment