Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Man Cave

Last week I attended the Wildfire Men's weekend with my sons and my mother-in-law's husband.  It was great to be with them, and at an event celebrating what it means to be a man, and a man who seeks to love God and his family.  Let me tell you, this event was all testosterone.  From the guys of the Power Team bending rebar with their teeth and bare hands, to a paint ball arena, to displays for hunting, fishing, knives, the NRA, responsible investing, to seminars on self-defense, extreme sports, being a better husband and father, this weekend was like one big man cave.  Speakers included Tim Tebow and Willie Robertson (from the reality show Duck Dynasty). No flowers, no butterflies, and no feminizing of Christianity.  The theme verse for the weekend was Nehemiah 4:14, Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes. 
I believe that because men have not always been the godly leaders of their home and church, that the church has lost its edge, its courage, and we have replaced a manly Jesus with one who sings Kumbaya and picks daisies.  We also live in a society where it is ok to deride men.  Just look at many shows on TV today.  Men are portrayed as bungling idiots who need their wives, girlfriends, or kids to save them from themselves.  Men are viewed as weak cowards, not strong leaders. 
It is time to bring a healthy correction to the church and our society's view of men.  We need to acknowledge the unique, complementary, and important roles of both women and men.  This week I was talking to a young man who grew up without his dad present.  He entered into a life of violence and crime, but thankfully God has gotten ahold of him and he is seeking to become the father to his kids he never had.  A few years ago I was a speaker at Sandy Cove Ministries and a woman approached me afterward seeking some advice.  She came with her grandson hoping he would benefit from the great program they have for kids.  She spoke of the problems he was having at home and school, getting into fights, disrespecting his mom.  Do you know what the first question I asked her?  Where is Dad? Her reply, He left the family.  There, in a nutshell, was the basis of this boys problems. 
I was blessed to have a dad who loved me, spent time with me, and sought to be a godly example to me.  Now that he is in heaven, I have a big hole in my life and my heart.  Driving home, I thought about how great it would be to tell him about our time at Wildfire and show him some of the pictures.  That will have to wait, but in the mean time, I can carry on his legacy of manhood and seek to be the kind of dad to my sons that he was to me. 
I think it is time we men take to heart passages like Nehemiah 4:14 and be who God has created us, and called us to be.
Blessings,
Dr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment