Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Living Together Before Marriage

I have always been against couples living together prior to marriage. My problem with it is three fold. First, it is against the teaching of Jesus and other places in scripture. Second, there are many practical reasons why it is a bad idea (allows the guy not to make a true, lasting commitment, it puts too much emphasis on performance, and it makes the relationship based on condition rather than unconditional love, just to name three). Third, all fo the studies show that couples who live together first have more and deeper conflict, have worse sex lives, and have a higher divorce rate compared to couples who marry first.
Recently the New York Times featured an interesting article on the topic. Now I never thought I would encourage people to read the NYT, and I don't agree with everything the author says, but she makes some good points that are worth reading. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/opinion/sunday/the-downside-of-cohabiting-before-marriage.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3&ref=general&src=me


Blessings,
Dr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment