Friday, July 16, 2010

Marriage is Good for Your Brain

I bet I got your attention with this title! The British Medical Journal reports that researchers in Finland have come to this very conclusion. They found that people who are widowed or divorced at midlife and remain single have a greater risk of Alheimer's Disease compared to people in that age group how are married. Being single and never married at midlife is also a factor. The researchers suggest that having a spouse provides additional mental and social challenges that stimulate the brain and delay the onset of dementia. I have my own thoughts on this matter. I believe that having kids has the opposite effect, it increases the chances of dementia. My wife and I are convinced that we both lost brain cells with the birth of each of our children, and the effects of this are very prominent during their teen years!
Blessings,
Dr. Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment