Friday, August 14, 2009

Poverty






What do you see in this picture? I see an example of the poorest of the poor, trying to scrape out a living, probably wondering if he will have enough to eat today. I don't know this man's name, where he lives, or anything about him. I was standing on a busy street corner in Phnom Penh watching the world go by. The temperature outside is approaching 95 degrees. His cart is full of plastics, glass bottles, cans, and other metals. He spent his night picking through trash to find these items so he could sell them for whatever he can get.



Or how about this man begging at the largest Buddhist temple in Phnom Penh. Blind, lame, alone. What is his name? What is his story?



If that doesn't grab your heart, seeing the children of Cambodia who live in such poverty is so heartbreaking. When I look at my children, I am so thankful for God's blessing in allowing me to provide for them. By the world's standards, I am spoiled, and so are they. Take some time and think about all you have, and all the people of this world who have so little. Give thanks to God for what you have, and give to those in need.
Blessings,
Dr. Paul


No comments:

Post a Comment